Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bedroom Prince's Million Dollars

After reading the Prince's most recent post, I needed to write my own.

Maybe it's because I don't want to get into a grad school that our views vary. But I think my life would change rather drastically if I won the lottery.

I was given cash yesterday, some with which to buy the kids lunch and train tickets, the rest was for me and they'd just deduct that from my pay this week. Perfect! First of all, I needed to take the train that night and second, I needed girl products. Rather badly. So I bought myself some necessary things from the pharmacy, bought some lunch for the kiddies, jumped on the train with them. I realised I had forgotten diapers for the baby, so I bought a mini pack when we got off the train. Then, we saw a carousel. A very beautiful, very old carousel. Well, I couldn't not let them ride the carousel. Then I had to buy phone credit so I could call the mommy to let her know where we were (and to text EG, obviously). Then, when the mommy came and I was to go on to my next destination, I realised I had to take the train twice. I only had enough for one trip. So, standing at the little mechanical thing where you buy train tickets, I tried to figure out how best to cheat the system without getting caught. I was told that if you get caught on the train I was about to take, you'd get fined something like 800 franks. But if you get caught on the one home, it's only like a hundred. So I made my ticket come from a station closer to home and made the destination one before. They did not check tickets on my first trip. There, that money could have gone to my homeward ticket and saved me a hell of a lot of trouble. Why don't they just check every time or never! It's evil what they do! On the way back, I saw they were checking right away. And I did not have a ticket from where I got on. So I jumped up to go to the bathroom and planned to get off at the next stop (which was soon) and catch the next train (which was an hour away). They were waiting for me when I got out of the bathroom. "Bon soir" said I sleepily and tried to get off the train. After much embarrassment and pretending to be stupid on my part, they let me off saying "vous avez du chance ce soir." I guess you could call it that. So what was I going to do when I caught the next train? What if they checked right away too? I came up with a story that someone I was supposed to be meeting said they would drive me to a station and I had bought the ticket ahead of time (which could be proven by the ticket I did buy ahead of time) and then they said they couldn't drive me that far and I was too shy to ask for more money. After an hour of worry punctuated with reading Oscar Wilde short stories, I got on the train. They did not check at all.

That whole night could have been a hell of a lot better and much more productive if I had a million dollars.

You know what makes it worse? Things like that happen to me at least twice, usually more, a week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very interesting.

Peace

artsmonkey said...

that's what makes you hilarious and sparkly and interesting.
cherish those moments.

skinny-rabbit said...

I want a video camera to follow you around all the time.