Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Not So Wise

I am trying to learn the language of the world as they say in "The Alchemist."
I don't know how to do that while there are things to do and responsibilities to ...see through.

There's a part in the book where a boy goes to a wise man to learn the path to happiness or the meaning of life or something. When he gets to the wise man's castle, it is bustling and the wise man is talking to many other travelors and advisors and what have you. It takes two hours for the wise man to get to the boy and then he says "I have no time right now to tell you about the meaning of life, but feel free to look around my castle at all the wonderful things I have. I need you to hold on to this spoonful of special oil while you do so and don't drop any." So the boy goes all around the castle for 2 hours, his eyes never leaving the spoonful of oil. When he returns to the wise man, the wise man asks if the boy saw all of his prized possessions. The boy is embarrassed saying he was only focusing on the oil. The wise man told him to enjoy himself around the castle for the next two hours. So he did. And when he got back, the wise man was pleased to hear how much the boy loved all of his wonders but was quick to point out that he had spilled the oil. He said "all I can tell you about the meaning of life is this: find happiness in the things around you, but do not forget about the oil."

What the hell does that mean? I mean, I think I know what it means, but that's like, hard.

In any case, read the Alchemist, I'm enjoying it.

4 comments:

skinny-rabbit said...

In the immortal words of Miss Sarah Silverman: "What the cock is that shit?"

artsmonkey said...

are you commenting on your own blog?...
words words words.
i liked the oil story.

artsmonkey said...

ignore me. i'm on crack.

The ArtofBeingMe said...

that's like trying to enjoy life without putting your heart and soul on the line, or something.

or maybe not. I don't know....I don't want to worry about the damn oil!!!!

maybe it's about self-control....and patience. i'm going to read that.