After spending all of yesterday crying, I was quite drained of all things heavy. I wrote this simple song.
you bring the back up and I'll bring the tune
and we'll sit together one hot afternoon
we don't need a threepiece, we don't need a drum
just play guitar while I hum
you bring the melody, I'll bring the voice
the weather is perfect, the company's choice
I don't need make up, you don't need a shirt
just play guitar while I flirt
you bring the bass line and I'll bring the song
it's a duet so you should sing along
we don't need money and we don't need plans
just play guitar while I dance
you bring the rhythm and I'll bring the blues
we'll turn off our phones and we'll take off our shoes
we don't need much, no we don't need a lot
all that we need we have already got
as long as you're near me, I don't need a thing
just play guitar while I sing
I find it funny because plans and dance barely rhyme when I sing it, but if an Englishman were to sing it, it wouldn't rhyme at all!
I like singing. It makes me feel good. It's important. People don't know it. They're trying to fill holes in the world with money. They see a hole in the world and they fill it with more money and wonder why there are still holes. I know you can fill it with art. It's okay if they don't, because I don't understand the money part. We'll each do our duty. I know my duty is art, even if it goes unnappreciated by the money people. I know it's important. I know it's helping all of us. Even if the money people send me to the street, I'll keep singing and the world will be better for it.
That's what I need to do...not be selfish. I know it seems like art is selfish but I know it's not. I'm going to try and dedicate today to making other people smile (I sound so preachy--there's still a racist homophobe who makes fun of AIDS in here, don't worry...) to see how it feels and then I'll try to do that forever. I'm also going for a jog today. Is it possible for people to change so drastically this quickly? I might as well try.
ps this has been the blog of a crazy person, obviously. I'm just SO weighed down right now, by so many different things, I'm finding it hard to be myself!!!
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
This blog doesn't sound crazy at all.
I felt crazy when I wrote it...
Why were you crying all day? *hug*
this sounds exactly the way it should.
Post a Comment