Monday, April 10, 2006

The concept of "shoe."

After finally cleaning my room, I watched at least 4 hours of "What Not to Wear" with a hint of Clueless and The Thomas Crown Affair.

My roomie and I make fun of Stacey and Clinton for saying "you've paired it with a beautiful boot," or "the pant is lovely," or "there's a nice line in the arm." They don't know how to use plurals. I imagine myself on that show and think of all the things I can say to make fun of them.

There's a girl on now with a T-shirt with a picture of Tinkerbell and it says "Never Grow Up." Of course the "host" are saying "Guess what? It's time to grow up!" She has a few beautiful fairy dresses that I love.

Well, now they're getting her clothes that are, yes, flattering, but exactly like everyone else's! Why do they insist on removing individuality.

People say things like "real world" and "grow up." I don't understand! Why can't I dress the way I like? Will I actually offend someone if I want to look like a princess? Will I actually be judged or deemed untrustworthy if I'm wearing a long skirt? What if they saw me carry around my superman lunchbox? Dude!

Then I think, I want people to take me seriously.

But that thought goes away very quickly. I'd rather be a princess and I don't think it could cause that much harm.

Should a person really give up a part of their identity and adapt to the current style?

3 comments:

skinny-rabbit said...

I love that lunchbox. It's who you are.

artsmonkey said...

i'm also torn on the "what not to wear" thing. fun new wardrobe? or fun old self? maybe fun new self with fun new wardrobe? but the outfits they pick are getting progressively more boring....BORING!

Lindsay said...

I agree...why do they have to take away people's individuality!!?? They're clothes nazis! It's individuality genocide! It's annoying. And yet I still watch the show. Princesse Alathariel, keep your superman lunchbox and tell Stacey and Clinton to pull down your pantS and lick you where you bleed.